9 acne fighting foods found in your salad
Salads are colorful, delicious, incredibly nutritious and of
course satisfies our hunger. But, what if we told you that a simple salad could
perhaps help you in
your battle against acne? With a combination of
vegetables and fruits, pure goodness and satisfying your skin’s hunger can be
accomplished. Let’s take a closer look at
what’s hiding in your salad plate!
What is a salad without this vegetable
green leaves? This king of all vegetables is
packed with moisture, energy, protein, fat, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and good sugars. Here are some pointers
that cater to your skin.
- Lettuce is a great source of vitamin A which helps in maintaining
healthy skin from its antioxidant properties.
- Vitamin C an antioxidant is also found in lettuce allowing to
fight infections and inflammations on the skin.
- Sun protection is an advantage from eating lettuce as it has
beta-carotene. Yes, beta-carotene containing things don’t have to be orange or
These big juicy red “fruits” are
full of vitamin C and lycopene. The vitamin C promotes collagen production,
while lycopene is great for fighting free radicals and sun damage.
- Tomatoes also contain manganese, potassium, flavonoids all are
- With having such a high water content, tomatoes are a great way to
hydrate your skin.
The saying ‘cool as a cucumber’ is spot on. Cucumbers are indeed
known to cool the body and are considered to be packed with skin care benefits.
- Hydrating your cells can be easily done by eating cucumbers which
have 95% of water.
- A good amount of vitamin C is also found in cucumbers. But
remember not to peel the skin as that’s where most of vitamin C is located.
- Vitamin A, vitamin D, vitamin K are also sourced from the
- Potassium, magnesium and silicon are skin-friendly minerals that
are found in cucumbers.
seeds, sesame seeds, flaxseeds)
Seeds come in all shapes, colours and tastes with also greatly
benefiting the skin.
- Zinc, an important source of acne free skin is found in all seeds.
- For a youthful appearance, vitamin E is also an advantage from
- Building healthy new skin cells is also promoted from consuming
- Pumpkin seeds are well known for their anti-fungal and anti-viral
- Keeping skin supple and moisterized from the inside out, flaxseeds
are a great source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
5. Dark berries
Why wash your face for pimple-free skin when you could just eat a smoothie? Just kidding! Please wash your face with the tasty colourful
has a high concentration of salicylic acid (that is widely used in topical acne treatment products).
Its ability to remove dead skin, open clogged pores, and act against bacteria
makes it a very effective treatment for acne.
- Anthocyanocides and polyphenols are two antioxidants found in
abundance in blackberries. These help in fighting free radicals. The
collagen-forming Vitamin C and Vitamin A make it
only more appropriate for the skin.
- The regular consumption of blackberries protects the skin against
the damaging UVA and UVB rays and aids in skin cell renewal.
- Blackberries are comprised of more than 85% water and fibre that
are essential for a healthy-looking skin.
- Vitamins A, C and K in blackberries are excellent for skin
rejuvenation. Their omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids-rich seeds are vital for
- Here’s an effective face mask recipe for skin rejuvenation! Grind
a bunch of blackberries. Blend these with some fresh yoghurt. Add a pinch of
nutmeg powder and ¼ cup of lemon juice. Apply this mask evenly on your face and
neck. Wash off after 25 to 30 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Blackberries are great for cleansing and detoxification of oily
Carrots serve as
the perfect crunchy snack to dip in hummus, or great for eye vision. But did
you know they can benefit the skin too!
- The carotenoids found in carrots are also helpful in protecting
the skin from free radical damage from the sun.
- The overproduction of cells in the skin’s outer layer can be
prevented by the vitamin A found in carrots. Carrots prevent
clogged pores! Yes!
- Eating these veggies can help reduce acne and prevent blemishes by
reducing inflammation and encouraging cell turnover with the help of
Lemons have some acne fighting qualities however, this is one of the cheapest fruits to buy for clear skin.
- The acid in lemon juice has mildly astringent qualities.
The astringents work by constricting the body tissues and pushing the oil out
of your skin.
- The citric acid acts as an antiseptic to help reduce the number of
bacteria that are living inside or on top of your skin.
- Clarifying moisturizer: Mix a few drops of coconut
water with a few drops of lemon juice. The coconut will hydrate your
skin, and lemon will clear and brighten it.
- Lemon Juice and Yogurt Acne
Scars Mask. Lemon juice helps in curing acne and lightening acne scars while
yogurt has a soothing effect on your skin, especially over the areas that are
- Mix 2 tablespoons of
lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of yogurt in a
- After it is mixed well, take a cotton ball and
dip it into the mixture.
- Squeeze out the excess solution and apply it
all over your face, concentrating on areas that are affected by acne.
- Leave it on for 20 to 30 minutes to allow your
skin to absorb its goodness.
- Rinse it off with cold water and gently pat
your skin dry with a soft towel.
- Repeat this every day to treat acne and remove
those scars as well.
8. Extra virgin olive oil
Olive oil is packed full of MuFAs (monounsaturated fatty acids).
These little fatty acids keep your skin hydrated and
- It is known for strong anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
- Improves the balance of bacteria in the gut by slowing down the
growth of bad unwanted bacteria.
9. Balsamic vinegar
If you’re reading this right now and thinking about the salad you
eat every single day that you generously pour Balsamic vinegar all over, check
the label on the bottle and make sure your Balsamic vinegar is just made out of
- Polyphenols that are antioxidants are found in Balsamic vinegar.
They help to protect your skin cells.
- The grapes found in the vinegar help to fight acne.
- Reducing the insulin reaction within the blood stream is also an
advantage from eating salad with balsamic vinegar.
Italian-Style Salad for Acne Free Skin
- Prep time: 10 mins
- Total time: 10 mins
- Serves: 1
- 3-4 oz.(90-120g) of dark green or red leaf lettuce (e.g. romaine,
rocket – I like combining 2 parts of regular lettuce with 1 part of rocket for
a bit of spiciness)
- 1 large tomato
- 1 cup cucumber
- 4 oz. (120g) of cooked chicken breast (optional)
- 3 tbsp of seeds (sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds,
- 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Wash and dry the leaves, shred them using your hands – don’t use a
knife. Chop the chicken breast. Slice tomatoes and cucumbers. Add everything to
a bowl. Sprinkle the seeds on top.
- Mix the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a small cup with salt
and pepper. Keep mixing until everything emulsifies. Pour it over the remaining
ingredients in the bowl, mix well and serve.
- Enjoy and notice clearer skin!
we put in our bodies has a big impact on all of our organs including the skin
which is the biggest one. Food can help improve the appearance of the skin, but
when it comes to some form of acne such as chronic, severe and/or body acne
which are persistent, it is important to consider taking a treatment that will
impact the cause of the problem. AcnEase is an all botanical
andclinically tested acne treatment that is safe for everyone regardless
of race, background, gender, age or whatever stage in your hormonal cycle. AcnEase
will help control existing acne and prevent new ones from forming.
more about the
science behind AcnEase.
We want to hear from you!
What’s your favourite salad? What are your secrets for keeping acne away? Did
you try the new Rejuvel 3D? Tell us in the comments below!